by Stacy Scherzer MPT, COMT
Many people who work at a desk, sitting for eight or increasingly hours a day, mutter of neck, shoulder, and mid-back pain. Aches and pains through these regions tend to upspring due to poor posture while sitting at our desks. The muscles in your neck and shoulders wilt stressed from keeping you upright versus gravity while you sit typing yonder at your computer for a long time. Stretching the muscles through these regions can be simple and efficient during the workday. It can moreover requite your soul much-needed movement without sitting at your sedentary for an extended period. If your poor posture while sitting goes unaddressed, these aches and pains can lead to chronic pain, well-expressed your overall neck and shoulder mobility during daily activities.
To help prevent this from happening, here are three stretches to help you stretch your tired muscles so that you can reset and uncork to sit with largest posture.
3 Stretches to Reset Your Posture at Work
1. Seated Upper Trap Stretch
- Start in a seated position sitting nice and tall for good posture.
- Bring your hand to the side you wish to stretch overdue your back.
- Place your other hand on top of your throne and gently pull your throne to the side yonder from the hand overdue your back. You should finger the stretch through your neck through the upper trap region.
- Hold this for 30 seconds on both sides.
2. Pectoralis Doorway Stretch
- Begin by standing in a doorway with the arm to be stretched raised whilom your throne and placed versus the side of the doorframe.
- Gently lean forward through the doorway and slightly rotate your soul yonder from the raised arm. You should finger the stretch through the front of your chest.
- Hold this for 30 seconds for both arms.
3. Seated Thoracic (Mid-back) Extension Stretch
- Sit in a firm, low-back chair with the when of the chair sitting underneath your shoulder blades.
- Cross your hands and place them on top of the opposite shoulder. Lean when over the chair, permitting your shoulders to proffer when over the whet of the chair to finger the stretch through your mid-back.
- Repeat up to 10 times, moving remoter into the motion if comfortable.
These stretches should not rationalization pain but should help heal tight muscles through your neck, mid-back, and shoulder region to help with promoting proper posture. Stretching can help alimony your neck from rhadamanthine painful while at work and can moreover help with preventing neck and shoulder pain. If you once have neck, mid-back, or shoulder pain and these stretches are not unbearable to help subtract the pain, there may be increasingly of an underlying issue. You may goody from seeing a physical therapist to help determine the cause. Find a location nearest you!
The post How To Stretch Your Neck And Shoulders At Your Sedentary Job appeared first on Foothills Sports Medicine Physical Therapy..