by Ashley Staehling, PT, DPT
Pregnancy imposes a heavy toll on the body. Your soul adjusts with increasing weight leading to aches and pains in variegated muscles and tissue. Most women wits low when pain in pregnancy due to sciatic nerve pain. This condition is wontedly known as sciatica and manifests as radiating pain that flows withal the sciatic nerve in the lower spine on the when of your thigh.
Causes of Sciatica In Pregnancy
Sciatica occurs when spare stress is placed on the sciatic nerve as it is worked coming out of the spine or where it passes through the when of the hip. Stress aggravates the sciatic nerve causing inflammation that may result in pain, numbness, or tingling. Causes of similar symptoms may include a herniated disk or unorthodoxy spurs on vertebrae pinching the nerves as they form the sciatic nerve.
During pregnancy, the soul releases a hormone tabbed relaxin, which allows increasingly stretching and movement through variegated joints, specifically the pelvis, to prepare for childbirth. The combination of increased mobility through your joints and the baby’s growing size exerts increasing pressure through the pelvis and, in turn, the sciatic nerve.
Sciatica during pregnancy can occur at any stage but is the most worldwide in the third trimester due to the increasing size and weight of the baby.
Sciatica pain during pregnancy may occur intermittently or be unvarying for some women. Without childbirth, some women fully recover from their sciatica without outside help. However, some women develop postpartum sciatica that continues due to weakened viscera and stretched ligaments.
Symptoms of Pregnancy-Related Sciatica
Aches related to sciatica range from summery to excruciating pain. It often involves a tingling sensation in one or several soul parts. The symptoms include:
- A tingling sensation that travels from the pelvis through the when of your leg
- A urgent sensation in the buttocks and lower back
- The sudden jolt of pain similar to an electric shock
- Muscle weakness
- A tingling sensation in one leg or foot
- Pain that worsens without sneezing or sitting for an extended period
Stretches for Pregnancy-Related Sciatica
This yoga pose is spanking-new for rest and restoration and gives your when and thigh muscles a good stretch.
- Kneel on a soft surface like a carpet or yoga mat.
- Hold your feet together and spread your knees untied to requite your vitals space.
- Keep your when straight and place your forehead on the floor.
- Spread your stovepipe out straight past your throne while inhaling.
- Sit when on your legs and bring your hips towards your heels while inhaling.
- Take several deep breaths while stretching your stovepipe farther forward.
- Move your hands when slowly to return to a kneeling position.
Seated Piriformis Stretch
Spasms in the piriformis muscles in your hips can rationalization sciatic pain.
- Sit on a stool with your feet unappetizing on the floor.
- Put the right toddle on the left knee.
- Lean forward slowly while keeping your when straight.
- Stretch your lower when and glutes.
- Remain in this pose for 30 seconds.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Roll a carpet, towel, or yoga woodcut on the floor.
- Kneel and put your hand on the ground.
- Slide the right knee forward between your hands.
- Slide the left leg when while keeping your foot on the floor.
- Place the mat or rolled towel under your right hip to make the stretch easier and requite your vitals some room.
- Lean forward on your right leg and slowly lower yourself to the ground while supporting your throne and stovepipe with a pillow.
- Hold the position for one minute.
- Repeat on the other side.
General Tips for Managing Pregnancy-Related Sciatica
- Use a heating pad to relax tight muscles aggravated by the uneaten weight. You can moreover put a unprepossessed pack on your lower when and rear pelvis to relieve the pain.
- Engage in low-intensity worriedness to enhance thoroughbred diffusion in the muscles. Gentle movements such as going for a walk can help. You can moreover engage in low-impact activities such as swimming or running on the treadmill.
- Get a prenatal massage to reduce stress and modernize thoroughbred circulation.
- Rest on the side that doesn’t hurt when lying lanugo to reduce pressure on the compressed nerve. Further, use a soul pillow to support your hips and legs.
- Keep exercising plane without lineage to strengthen your muscles and reduce pressure on the sciatic nerve. You can do light physical activities such as walking while giving your soul zaftig rest.
When to Talk To Your Doctor
Sciatic pain takes time to heal, plane with at-home exercises. Most women wits discomfort, but severe pain is rare. However, if the pain is excruciating, medication can help. Always consult your doctor surpassing taking medication to ensure it is unscratched for your baby.
If you have sciatic pain or any other pregnancy-related discomfort, Foothills Sports Medicine Physical Therapy can help; schedule a self-ruling assessment. Foothills is a group of 27 physical therapy clinics that serve the Metro Phoenix area. We have a holistic tideway to treatment in a friendly environment. Our defended staff will prepare a personalized plan based on your medical history, lifestyle, and fitness levels.
The post Sciatica in Pregnancy: Symptoms and Solutions appeared first on Foothills Sports Medicine Physical Therapy..